Fire and EMS Museum
The Prince George Heritage Center’s newest museum, the Prince George Fire and EMS Museum is being constructed at the rear of the old courthouse.
Prince George Eagle Scout Ceremony About More than Scouting
Eagle Scout Graham Jones with sisters Heather Coleman and Taylor Bruton present check in honor of their grandfather, H. Martin Robertson, to Carol Bowman, Director of the Prince George Heritage Center. The H. Martin Robertson Memorial Fund will be used to support the Center’s newest museum project, the Prince George County Fire and EMS Museum. Photography by Valerie Brockett-Mann
Tribute to Late Grandfather Promotes New Community Outreach: the Fire and EMS Museum
Graham Jones became the newest Eagle Scout in Prince George County on Sunday , February 25th, in a ceremony at the Prince George Regional Heritage Center. Graham, from Troop 902, is the son of Keith and Sherri Jones. He requested the courtroom locale for a reason very special to him – his “grandpa”. Graham’s grandfather was the late H. Martin Robertson, who served as Commonwealth’s Attorney and County Attorney in Prince George for more than thirty years. Robertson’s portrait hangs in the courtroom of the old courthouse that ten years ago became the Heritage Center. It was in front of that portrait that the Eagle oath was administered.
“Sparky” the Dalmatian oversees some of the artifacts gifted for the new Fire and EMS Museum. Photography by Valerie Brockett-Mann
This 1943 Seagrave was Prince George County's First Fire Truck
This is the very first fire truck used by The Prince George County Volunteer Fire Department. It was acquired from Federal Government surplus in 1953 and originally served at a US Navy base. It is a 1943 Seagrave pumper and has a pump rated at 1,000 gallons per minute. After it’s retirement from use, it was parked outside behind one of VFD’s members homes for many years where it severely deteriorated. It was eventually sold to a member of The Old Dominion Historical Fire Society, who began a restoration. After a few years, the owner came to realize the restoration was beyond his ability and placed the rig up for sale. The Volunteers at Prince George decided that they wanted it back as a historical piece and re-acquired it. Due to the condition of the rig at that time, professional help was needed. Many fund raisers ensued and the rig was sent to a restoration shop in North Carolina. The rig returned home in like new condition and is now a permanent artifact of the county’s history.
Home | History of PG | About Us | Events | Local Historical Sites | Fire and EMS Museum | Wall of Honor | Links | Become A Member | Gift Shop | Contact Us
© The Prince George County Historical Society, Inc ~ All Rights Reserved